Breakfast of Champions

oh yeah...the bob loblaw law blog

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Since the game was marginal,

I thought it made sense to cover the coverage. Here is a group of random, unconnected points on how I think ABC fared. Remember...these guys paid several hundred million dollars for this thing, so by all rights it should have come off well.

In no particular order:
  • It seemed to me like they didn't have Mick Jagger's mike turned up all the way. No it's not my setup - no chance the B&W's would let me down. A lot of people said they thought the Stones were horrible, but I think this was a big part of it.
  • But for that matter...why not take a very slight chance? I mean the Stones following Paul McCartney is kinda like following vanilla ice cream with a slice of dry toast. You know who I pictured up there bringing the place down? Franz Ferdinand. But network execs wouldn't do that bc they are to afraid of the Gestapo...er...FCC
  • I thought the studio portion of the halftime show was pretty decent, at least in comparison to the feeble effort these things usually are. Did anybody else see some tech intern with headphones get caught in the camera view for a second?
  • The MVP of the game should have been that Steelers OG, #66, I think his name was Fannica. Props to Madden for giving the guy due.
  • I liked bringing the former MVP's out before the game. The only similar, better gesture in recent memory was bringing out the All-Century Team during the All-Star Game at Fenway.
  • I'm not sure I believe that the Ford Escape Hybrid really gets 36 MPH highway/31 city. If that is actually true, they should make all non-Hybrids illegal to make. The $3K for the feature pays for itself in a year!
  • Did it seem to you like ABC had trouble selling all of those coveted $2.5mm Super Bowl Advertisements? They must have run like 20 promos for Grey's frickin Anatomy (the second season of which, by the way, is not even watchable. Add to that the rest of the promos. But then you have to remember ABC's corporate partners...Walt Disney corp didn't bring in any legit revenue for the ESPN mobile ads, the Disney World ads and my guess is most of the previews were produced by one of DIS's 300 studios. This reminds me of back in the day, when 2 POS internet companies would sell ads to each other and claim it as "revenue". I don't see how ABC made money on this game.
  • For the paying customers, let me give you a piece of advice. Funny commercials can be good, but when they are all funny, they are easily forgotten. The 2 articles I remember are (as above) the Ford Escape w/ Kermit (not necessarily funny) and the ones for the new Escalade. Maybe the Big Dos are making a comeback.
  • Probably my single pet peeve in all of sports coverage is when they talk to any coach for either team during the game. My favorite part of the game is how Cowher completely dissed the Michelle Tafoya-character at half-time. That dude deserves a ring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home